Sun Grove Montessori School is a 501(c)3 tax-exempt corporation, located on a beautiful 5-acre wooded campus in sunny Fort Pierce, on Florida’s east coast. Founded in 1978, SGMS is the only International Montessori Council accredited school on the Treasure Coast offering full Montessori programs beginning at 6 weeks through 8th grade. We have a supportive team culture that serves a diverse population of students from Indian River County, Saint Lucie County, Martin County and beyond.
We seek individuals who embody the spirit of lifelong learning, have a true love and respect for children and seek to understand and commit to providing an outstanding educational experience for children.
The Head of School is accountable for the operations of the program and activities of SGMS, in keeping with the mission and vision of the school and the direction as set by the SGMS Board. The Head of School must represent the Board and embody the vision of the school in its relations with faculty, staff, students, families and the community.
A qualified applicant will be able to:
- Ensure the staff, students, and families enjoy a safe and nurturing environment by creating a strong campus culture that embodies the mission of the school and Montessori values.
- Promote a positive image of Sun Grove’s mission, culture and values, and play a major role in making it a provider of choice in educational programs for the communities that we serve.
- Supervise day-to-day business, financial and physical plant operations.
- Recruit, manage, retain, and develop outstanding administrative and teaching staff who are committed to the mission of the school and Montessori values.
- Lead collaborative work with the school community to reach expectations as articulated in the strategic plan;
- Provide instructional leadership and continuously improves school performance through staff development and academically rich instructional programming.
- Supervise and assist the admissions functions of the school, including recruitment programs, internal marketing, external outreach, website development and maintenance, and leverage resources to enhance the school’s mission and strategic objectives.
- Partner with governance body, Board of Directors, to ensure management, fiscal, and enrollment and objectives.
- Is hired by and reports directly to the Board of Directors of Sun Grove Montessori School
- Responsible for assuring Florida Department of Children and Families, applicable local, state, and federal guidelines are met
- Serves as the school’s authorized legal agent
- Demonstrates advanced knowledge and skills in the use of computer applications and programs for communications, data collection, reporting and the business management of the school
- Communicates effectively and efficiently with all stakeholders
- Partnering with the Board of Directors to report at an annual Stakeholder Meeting
- Schedules and organizes 3 school-wide staff meetings annually
- Encourages and exemplifies the School’s vision of “embracing lifelong learning”
- Attends relevant business conferences, workshops or local, national or international Montessori conferences
- Encourages all staff members to attend Montessori conferences. Budgets or seeks out funds to assist with employee professional development expenses
- Models positive attitude and courteous behavior toward children, staff, and parents
- Demonstrates effective communication skills, and assists with parent informational needs in a timely manner
- Organizes or facilitates regular parent enrichment programs
- Oversees school network/IT needs and arranges technology support as needed
- Oversees risk analysis, insurance, and security needs and arranges support as needed
- Oversees/organizes all staff, student, and school-wide events and activities
- Oversees/maintains the school-wide inventory
- Responsible for long term-strategic planning; progress, implementation, and reporting including but not limited to upholding accreditation standards, requirements and recommendations
- Analyzes and manages the board-approved annual budget
- Participation in the creation of the annual budget
- Prepares detailed financial comparisons and data analysis to aid in setting an annual budget
- Works with the School’s Accountant and Treasurer of the Board of Directors to prepare monthly and annual financial reports
- Reviewing monthly bank statements
- Possesses the ability to recruit, employ, supervise, evaluate, dismiss and advise on compensation for all personnel
- Determines employee salaries and benefits within the board of directors approved budget parameters.
- Organizes or facilitates workshops and staff in-service programming
- Coordinates continuous staff development, to assure practices within the school are consistent with the mission and beliefs of the school through the filter of “what is best for the child.” Works with staff to develop and implement accepted models of best practice, rationale, and purpose
- Teaching Staff:
- Assists Department Heads in recruitment of teaching staff
- Supervises the Spanish and Music teachers/programs, coordinating across all classrooms
- Non-Teaching Staff:
- Selects and employs non-teaching personnel in conjunction with Board
- Advises Board on the need to dismiss non-teaching staff when appropriate
- All Staff:
- Administers equitable systems of compensation, working conditions and professional development of all staff in cooperation with the Board of Directors
- Where necessary, counsels and advises school employees
- Send and collect exit interviews
- Coordinates with educational and administrative staff to aid with appropriate age level transitions and projections
- Assists in the facilitation of the admission, enrollment and transition process and as a classroom and family liaison
- Facilitates tours for prospective families in order to assist with admissions
- Represents and explains the SGMS school mission and programs to prospective families
- Oversees and coordinates recruitment of students
- Informs parents and prospective parents of enrollment policies
- Responsible for assuring that the school-wide curriculum is understood and implemented at all levels
- Assists lead staff in overseeing specialty staff and enrichment programs
- Schedules regular classroom observations, and works to support areas of development
- Partners with the teaching staff to oversee and support the needs of all learners
- Supports and oversees educational interventions and referral paperwork if a child is identified for outside educational testing
- Attends all meetings regarding student interventions, modifications or referrals
- Oversees that accurate learning and observational records are maintained for all children
- Responsible for the education and assessment side of the Standardized Student Assessment program
- Coordinates and attends all Department Head meetings
- Serves as liaison between teachers and parents to resolve classroom issues
- Maintains school discipline policy in a consistent and respectful manner
Daily Operations, School Facilities & Equipment
- Oversees daily operations of school, ensuring a safe and friendly environment
- Attends to tasks and responsibilities associated with successful operation of school (e.g. communication, security, maintenance) in an as-needed and sometimes hands-on capacity
- Demonstrates the ability to plan, schedule, and coordinate the efforts of numerous committees and numerous projects simultaneously. Ex-officio member of all committees
- Maintains a comprehensive set of records on students, staff and prospective students
- Demonstrates the ability to oversee the physical buildings and grounds for maintenance or new construction; Assists in overseeing the cleanliness, repair, and safety of the building and grounds as it relates to educational needs or components
- Develops and maintains all contractual agreements for the school in areas of tuition, leasing, maintenance, insurance, and others as deemed necessary
- Oversees/organizes annual re-enrollment and contractual process
- Supervises maintenance of all school equipment
- Supervises the maintenance of SGMS as an aesthetically attractive and safe environment, in cooperation with the Physical Plant Committee
- Advises Board on facilities and equipment improvement
- Develops and oversees Fundraising programs to include but not limited to; fundraisers, grants, endowments, annual fund, etc.
- Develops and oversees PR & Marketing programs to include; SGMS Website, social media, print materials, press releases, community involvement
- Coordinates all internal and external school communications
- Serves as spokesperson for SGMS
- Maintains constructive liaisons with other educational institutions and associations
- Facilitates communication among all of the school’s constituents and encourages their participation in SGMS activities and events
- Represents SMGS in the community at large
Responsibility to the Board of Directors
- Serves as non-voting member of the Board and is expected to attend all Board meetings and functions
- Keeps the Board informed of all aspects of school operations
- Brings to the Board’s attention issues that may require Board action or Board education
- Communicates all Board policies and changes to the teaching staff and non-teaching staff and to SGMS Community members
- Serves as a resource for the Board in developing new policies and initiatives
- Serves as a resource for the Treasurer and the Board on financial matters
- Represents the Board and Board decisions and policies to parents when appropriate
- Oversees/organizes timelines and reporting of all operations of the school during the monthly meeting of the Board of Directors