Brooklyn Heights Montessori School offers a challenging and comprehensive curriculum built on the philosophy of Maria Montessori to children aged two years through eighth grade. Students work and learn in mixed-age classes led by teaching teams of thoughtful and well-trained professionals. The students have exposure to a full range of academic and artistic courses. BHMS also offers an after school program and a summer day camp. The School is housed in a beautiful facility in the Cobble Hill section of Brooklyn and is ideally located for convenient access to all parts of Manhattan and Brooklyn.
Brooklyn Heights Montessori School is an equal opportunity employer seeking candidates who will embrace the tenets of Montessori Education, including the principles of community, educational and professional excellence, social justice, and equity.
Job Description: CONTROLLER
Start Date: Immediately
Reports to: Director of Finance & Operations
Brief Description: Maintain general ledger financial information and prepare financial analyses of school operations for the Head of School, Finance Committee and Board of Trustees for decision making purposes. Basic responsibility lies in the development, communication, and coordination of a sound overall business environment conducive to the educational objectives of the school.
Full-time, 12-month position
RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
- Perform accounts payable function, including invoice entry and disbursements, when approved by Director of Finance & Operations
- Reconcile all financial and investment accounts on a monthly basis
- Reconcile general ledger accounts to Institutional Advancement and Admissions Departments on a monthly basis
- Assure accuracy and integrity of financial reporting
- Prepare and distribute year-to-date expenditures and remaining annual budget to all department heads on a monthly basis
- Assist Director of Finance & Operations with financial analysis and accurate modeling to produce reliable financial planning for on-going and new initiatives
- Maintain General Ledger chart of accounts using Blackbaud/Financial Edge
- Update Chart of Accounts as needed
- Prepare and Distribute Budget reports for department
- With the Director of Finance & Operations, prepare and maintain cash flow analysis and monitor timing of any required transfers
- Prepare quarterly and tax reports as needed
- Assist in the collection of data and preparation of annual budget
- Assist in preparation or prepare all documents for the annual audit and work with independent auditors in the preparation of annual financial statements, schedules and tax returns
- Print checks if needed / prepare online bill pay for payment to vendors
- Manage and maintain purchase orders in Blackbaud
- Monitor financial activities of the Parents Association
- Perform other duties as assigned
SKILLS AND REQUIREMENTS:
- Blackbaud/Financial Edge Knowledge required
- Workable knowledge of Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel and Accounting software
- Knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles and practices
- Be able to analyze fiscal data and report it in a clear and concise manner
- Attention to detail
- Ability to take initiative and work collaboratively when appropriate
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality
- Be able to organize work and set priorities to meet changing deadlines
- Be able to establish and maintain effective working relationships with all constituents
- Bachelor’s Degree in accounting required
- 5+ years of progressive experience
- Experience with Blackbaud software required
Salary is competitive and based on experience and qualifications.
If you would like to be considered for this position, please click here. No phone calls please.
Brooklyn Heights Montessori School has an institutional commitment to the principles of diversity, social justice and equity. In that spirit, BHMS does not discriminate in violation of the law on the basis of race, religion, creed, color, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, physical challenge, national or ethnic origin, ancestry or any other characteristic.