The role of the Montessori Preschool Teacher at Sacred Heart Schools, Atherton (SHS) is an exceptional opportunity to grow your career as an educator at one of the Bay Area’s premier independent schools. This fulltime, long-term substitute position begins in early August 2019 and duties continue through the end of the 2019-2020 academic year ending on June 5, 2020.
Essential Functions include but are not limited to:
- Create a child-centered, responsive prepared environment filled with experiential learning materials using Montessori materials and other hands-on materials that are in line with Montessori philosophy;
- Adapt teaching methods and instructional materials to meet students' varying needs and interests;
- Encourage active, concrete, hands-on learning whenever possible;
- Focus on increasing each students' quantity and quality of self-directed activity. Create weekly and monthly lesson plans;
- Meet with parents and guardians to discuss their child's progress, and to determine their priorities for their child and the child’s resource needs.
The ideal candidate will be energized by working collaboratively with colleagues. Successful candidates will demonstrate a passion for teaching and social/emotional wellness of young school students and their families along with a deep commitment to equity and inclusion (see https://bbk12e1-cdn.myschoolcdn.com/ftpimages/783/misc/misc_133701.pdf ). A clear commitment to the educational philosophy of Sacred Heart Schools as articulated in the https://www.shschools.org/page/about/mission--educational-philosophy/educational-philosophy is essential. Basic requirements include but are not limited to:
- BA degree required, Masters degree preferred Montessori Primary certification required, AMS preferred
- A minimum of three years as a lead teacher in a Montessori classroom
- Demonstrated ability to remain calm and focused in a busy, child oriented classroom of 24 students and be a collaborative and supportive co-teacher. The Preschool teacher must always be kind, warm, polite, caring and respectful
- Ability to work well with students and colleagues; willingness to be an active, enthusiastic member of the SHS community.
- Willingness to adapt to an existing curriculum as well as contribute ideas to enhance the respective academic programs.
For a complete job description please visit our career page: https://www.shschools.org/page/about/careers--shs
Founded in 1898 by the Society of the Sacred Heart, SHS is a Catholic, independent, co-ed day school for students in preschool through grade 12. The School is located on a beautiful 64-acre campus in the San Francisco Bay Area. SHS is one of 24 schools in the U.S. and Canada Network of Sacred Heart Schools and is affiliated with a network of over 200 Sacred Heart schools worldwide. The school's mission is to cultivate in our students a personal and active faith in God and to lay the foundation for a meaningful life.
To learn more about SHS, please see our website at www.shschools.org
Employment- Pre-employment background screening is required for all positions.
This position offers competitive compensation and health and welfare benefits subject to plan parameters, including medical, dental, vision, Life & LTD, 403(b) retirement plan, accrued vacation and more.
Online: send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org; please indicate
Montessori Preschool Teacher 2019-20
in the subject line.
Sacred Heart Schools
150 Valparaiso Avenue
Atherton, CA 94027
Attention Human Resources: Montessori Preschool Teacher 2019-20
Sacred Heart Schools, Atherton believes that each individual is entitled to equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, age, disability, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, ancestry, genetic information, citizenship, veteran status, or any other class protected under federal, state or local laws.
As a faith-based institution, we reserve the right to use religion as a criterion in hiring decisions, as permitted by law, as it relates to performing essential job duties.