Status: Full time/Exempt
Supervisor: Director of Middle and Upper School
Location: In-person instruction at the Brier Creek Campus
Work Schedule: Teacher work day plus evenings and other times needed to accommodate parent meetings, workshops, testing and other responsibilities.
The Montessori School of Raleigh is a competitive, independent school in the Triangle area, offering an authentic Montessori and IB program to students 15 months to 18 years. MSR is accredited by AMS, SACS, and the IBO.
The Montessori School of Raleigh (MSR) seeks an IB/US Science Instructor for the Upper School for the 2022-2023 school year. Under the general direction of the Director of Middle and Upper School, the IB/US Science Instructor will work with students, faculty, staff, and parents to develop a comprehensive and rigorous Science curriculum that encompasses Science IB and Upper School courses. The ideal candidate will create and teach curricula that develop students who are “agile thinkers, poised communicators, and gracious collaborators—engineers of authentic and fulfilling lives.”
The position will teach a range of IB Science and Upper School Science classes. This position will teach four classes (IB Biology, High School Chemistry).
- Bachelor's degree or higher in Science or a related educational field; must possess or have the ability to obtain North Carolina State Certification
- IB certification or ability to obtain certification
- Prior experience in developing comprehensive Science curricula
- Knowledge of adolescent development, learning differences, resources, and current trends in education
- Knowledge of differentiated instruction based on student learning needs
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Committed to the mission and core values of MSR which include "respect, integrity, community, and love of learning"
- Develops and maintains positive relationships with students, colleagues, parents, and other members of the MSR community
- Flexible team play with "can-do" attitude
- Ability to work independently and collaborate in teams with a wide range of individuals
- Commitment to fostering an inclusive, equitable, and diverse learning community
- Student-centered, collegial, passionate, innovative
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Develop a multifaceted and cross-curricular Science curriculum utilizing experiential learning and constructivist philosophies
- Develop a variety of performance and written assessments to evaluate student learning and growth throughout the academic program, and provide students with the necessary feedback, critical evaluation, encouragement, and support
- Provide students with the necessary feedback, critical evaluation, encouragement, and support
- Develop interactive lessons that develop students' abilities in research, exploration, data analysis, etc.
- Lead students to gain a richer understanding of themselves, their community, and the world
- Develop events and projects outside the classrooms, such as local field experiences and trips
- Work collaboratively and integrate lessons with other faculty
- Attend meetings for all faculty and staff
- Participate in and supervise spring and fall trips
- Coordinate and mentor students through the school advisory program
- Participate in student supervision, evening school events, occupations/clubs, intersessions, and after-school tutorials
- Attend meetings with other teaching staff, undertake professional development training, and meet with pupils' parents to discuss their progress at parents' evenings
- Conduct professional development and parent programs as requested
- Keep up-to-date on new teaching methods and developments
- Other duties as assigned by the Head of School
About the Montessori School of Raleigh
Established in 1974, The Montessori School of Raleigh is a vibrant and exceptional, independent Montessori school serving 360 students aged 15 months through 18 years. MSR’s beautifully designed and well-maintained Lead Mine Campus, situated on 10 acres in North Raleigh, comprises five buildings in a child-centered, village-like setting surrounded by wetlands and protected forest. Our Middle and Upper Schools are housed on an expansive 40-acre wooded campus in Brier Creek in Durham. Both sites were carefully planned and constructed to provide the nature-centered environments integral to Montessori practice.
The Raleigh-Durham area is consistently ranked among the top places to live with strong job growth and a high quality of life. Top universities, a rich diversity of arts and cultural offerings, excellent health care, and lower than average housing costs, draw people in from all over the nation. Our mild climate and proximity to both beaches and mountains makes the Raleigh- Durham area an ideal place to live.
The school offers a competitive salary and benefits. Please send a cover letter and resume with "IB/US Science Instructor, [your name]" to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please.
It is the policy of The Montessori School of Raleigh to make employment decisions on the basis of qualifications for a specific job without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, national or ethnic origin, age, veteran status, or the presence of a disability, except where such is a bona fide occupational qualification. Applicants are encouraged to confidentially self-identify when applying. Employment is contingent upon successful completion of a reference and background investigation. All MSR personnel must be vaccinated against COVID-19.