To cultivate a learning community where children discovertheir own unique abilities. To createan environment in which children learn naturally, supporting self-reliance and independent learning. To motivate young people as they growinto secure, well-rounded citizens. To achieve this mission we base our educational approach on the developmental philosophy and methods of Dr. Maria Montessori.
Hours: Between 7:30a - 5:30p
Salary: $10-$12 DOE
Assistant teachers assist the lead teacher in providing a warm, nurturing and safe environment where self-direction is enhanced, independence encouraged and individuality respected. Assistant teachers meet the emotional, physical, intellectual and social needs of both the individual and the group in the following areas: classroom environment, management and professionalism. Assistant teachers follow the direction of the lead teacher and report to the lead teacher. Assistant teachers can lead extracurricular activities such as Spanish, Art and/or Science- to be determined with Lead Teacher, depending on experience and skills.
- Assists with classroom management
- Light classroom cleaning or building cleaning
- Follows the Montessori curriculum
- Recess and lunch duties at assigned times (punctuality is important)
- Assist the lead teacher with transition times (getting students ready to go outside, washing hands, lining up) unless otherwise assigned to recess/lunch
- Assist the lead teacher in the classroom with behavior management (mainly redirecting or gluing)
- Guides children in positive choices and independence in their environment
- Works as a team with co-teachers and other assistant teachers by communicating and supporting each other and attending monthly faculty meetings
- Works well with others to take on challenges
- Embraces the Montessori approach and the Sunrise Montessori mission statement
All staff members strive for the following characteristics in their work: excellence, competence, innovation, collaboration, respect, resourcefulness, flexibility and accountability.
Assistant teacher must meet the following basic requirements:
- CPR/First Aid certification
- Previous experience working in early childhood and/or education
- A clear record through fingerprinting
- Have the physical capacity to work with elementary aged children
- Keep up with professional development
- Willingness to be trained in Montessori philosophy
- English fluency required, Spanish fluency is a plus
EXPECTATIONS FOR ALL EMPLOYEES:
Promotes the image of the school and supports its mission, vision, and goals by exhibiting the following behavior: excellence, competence, innovation, collaboration, respect, resourcefulness, flexibility, and accountability. Uses positive and professional language and exhibits loyalty to the school at all times. All employees must be punctual and ready to greet children when they arrive. Tardiness and absenteeism is not acceptable.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $10.50 to $12.00 /year