The American Montessori Society leads, empowers, and serves the global community of Montessori educators as the foremost advocate for research and policy, ongoing teacher education, and standards of accreditation through opportunities for mentored individual growth, collaboration, and member engagement. Based in the Union Square area of New York City, AMS has 15,000 members in nearly 70 countries worldwide. Ongoing areas of involvement include public awareness and understanding of Montessori education; school quality and school accreditation; affiliation of teacher education programs; professional development; research; awards, grants, and scholarships; publications; public policy; and collaborations with institutions of higher learning.
AMS is classified as a 501(c)(3) (i.e., tax-exempt, nonprofit) organization.
To Apply: Please submit all applications with a cover letter and résumé to be considered for review.
Teacher Education and Professional Development Assistant
Reports to: Senior Director of Education and Strategic Initiatives
Works closely with: AMS Directors for general reception information and Sr. Director of Education and Strategic Initiatives, Director of Professional Development, and Director of Teacher Education.
Liaises with: Staff in all areas of the organization.
Classification: Full-time: 40 hours a week with occasional weekend or evening work required (1.0 FTE); Non-Exempt
Worksite: Based remotely in Cincinnati, Ohio with occasional travel 1-2 times per year. Must be eligible to work in the U.S.
Professional Development & Teacher Education Administrative support
- Assist in the setup and maintenance of professional development cohort-based programs.
- Monitor and reply to inquiries mailbox
- Providing support to the Professional Development department in the form of webinar registration assistance
- Create new Teacher Education Programs and new course level entries in the database
- Add instructors to the new TEPs and course levels in the database
- Process transcript requests
- Providing basic information for teacher education requests and providing additional contact details for further assistance based on request (credentials, affiliation, teacher education service)
- Other duties as assigned
Operational support/Membership Support:
- Answer, screen, and forward incoming phone calls (approximately half of the workweek).
- Provide basic and accurate information about AMS via phone/email
- In connection with incoming phone calls: member support services, such as website login assistance, password resets, provide information regarding individual and school memberships, etc.
- Order office supplies and stationery per staff requests
- Submit invoices for payment to Finance Department
- Other duties as assigned
The Teacher Education and Professional Development Assistant is a mission-driven, creative, and self-directed thinker and doer.
- College degree or comparable work experience
- Experience with a customer relationship database (CRM) is a plus
- Excellent skills in spoken and written English (bilingual applicants are encouraged)
- Pleasant, positive, courteous customer-service manner
- Strong keyboarding/data entry skills
- Willingness to troubleshoot and take corrective action when necessary
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Outlook), database experience a plus; Intermediate Excel knowledge; Mail Merges on Outlook
- Attention to detail
- Flexibility and willingness to shift priorities when circumstances require
- Strong organizational and time-management skills, including the ability to perform detailed tasks within set deadlines
The American Montessori Society is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, genetic information, family responsibility, political affiliation or any other status protected by applicable laws.