The Early Childhood Center at St. Catherine University invites applications for a full time, year round, Lead Montessori Teacher. This position is responsible for providing exemplary Montessori Children’s House experience for children (ages 33 months to 6 years) and families within and outside of St. Catherine University community. The Montessori Program, as part of the Early Childhood Center, provides an observation site as well as field work site for students studying in the departments of Education, Psychology, Nursing, and Occupational Therapy.
St. Catherine University community provides a welcoming environment to faculty, staff, and students, with a significant amount of professional autonomy to contribute to individual departments and the University on a higher level. This exempt position offers excellent benefits, including health, dental, vision, tuition remission for employees and their immediate family, and paid vacation/sick/holiday time. Here is a benefits information LINK. Please note, the Early Childhood Center is closed for two weeks in August.
• Classroom teaching including establishing and maintaining an environment true to the Montessori philosophy, paying particular attention to the needs of students.
• Carefully observe and keep daily records of each student’s individual progression through the classroom.
• Initial and ongoing prep work related to teaching which includes preparing the classroom prior to the start of the school year, cleaning up and packing at year’s end, maintaining organized classroom and personal work space, and setting up new activities for the environment.
• Communicate via newsletters with parents about their children’s school lives and educate parents in Montessori philosophy.
• Prepare and prep for individual conferences with parents.
• Provide leadership and training to assistant teachers and student workers. At this time, Lead Teacher is not responsible for the formal evaluations of personnel.
• Classroom management including disciplining and guiding children in an appropriate manner.
• Initiate and engage the appropriate parties (families, staff, consultants) as necessary to meet a child’s needs.
• Two years of experience teaching (teacher, assistant teacher, or aide) in a Montessori Children’s House
• Montessori preprimary AMS or AMI credential
• Bachelor’s degree in early childhood education, child development, elementary education, or early childhood special education
• Bachelor’s degree in any field and 18 quarter credits in early childhood education, child development, elementary education or early childhood special education
• License in early childhood education, child development, elementary education or early childhood special education
St. Catherine University seeks creative, adaptable faculty and staff who enjoy working in a university climate that promotes cultural diversity and multicultural understanding. Candidates of color are encouraged to apply. Consistent with the university’s commitment to women, diversity and social justice, preference will be given to candidates who manifest these themes in their teaching, research and service.
St. Catherine University is an equal opportunity employer. Our commitment to inclusion reflects the central value of the Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet to “love of neighbor without distinction” and provides a learning and working environment that is enriched by the diversity of all our members. Individuals of religious, racial, ethnic, gender identity, nation of origin, or disability groups that have traditionally had less representation in higher education are encouraged to apply. Should you need an interview accommodation please contact us at email@example.com or 651-690-6565.
Please go to the St. Catherine University Employment Site at http://www.stkate.edu/employment-opportunities to apply electronically. Three references and successful completion of a background check will be required for employment. For information, contact Sharon Johnson, firstname.lastname@example.org 651-690-6608. Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until filled.