Drummond Montessori Coordinator and Coach
The coach is the key person in a Montessori school responsible for creating a community of reflective practitioners and ensuring fidelity of implementation of Montessori for both children and adults.
- The Montessori coach is a member of the school leadership team and will participate in all school-wide decision-making, strategic planning, and educational program design. The coach’s primary responsibilities are to create and sustain an outstanding school culture that supports human flourishing for students, faculty, and staff; to lead the academic and cultural vision for the school; to build and develop leadership in staff members; and to empower parents and families to advocate for optimal educational opportunities for all.
- Development and Implementation of Montessori Curriculum
- Ensures that the educational program is delivered according to the school’s mission and vision and increases access to Montessori education.
- Organizes, directs and supervises the instructional program of the school, including our Mutli-Tiered Systems of Support intervention system.
- Works with adults to ensure equity in access to quality lessons, materials, and experiences throughout the school.
- Plans and facilitates staff development based on the interests and needs of the staff and the school community.
- Models grace and courtesy in all interactions with children, adults, and families.
- Integrates the how and the why of Montessori pedagogy through actions and beliefs about human potential.
Planning, Leadership, and Management
- Works with the Principal and PPLC to set vision, strategy, and goals.
- Collaborates on the recruitment, selection and orientation of key school staff.
- Attends leadership meetings.
- Oversees the processes for enrollment and class placement.
- Establishes and supports procedures and routines of the school.
- Collaborates on the creation of a school schedule that supports the implementation of the Montessori approach.
- Determines priorities for use of time in the daily, weekly, and yearly calendars.
Staff Selection and Development
- Conducts weekly observations and one-on-one meetings with classroom teachers.
- Meets regularly with all adults that interact with children and families to ensure consistency of Montessori practice.
- Ensures that consistent Lesson Study and Child Study protocols are followed and implemented with fidelity.
- Establishes a robust school-wide observation and feedback system across all environments.
Data and Assessment
- Collects data about work engagement and academic performance through regular observation of all classrooms.
- Uses a variety of data points to drive conversations about classroom practice and planning.
- Chooses assessment tools for alignment with the Montessori method and curriculum.
- Analyzes accountability metrics to inform school wide goals and priorities.
Collaboration, Communication and Community Relations
- Engages in daily face to face interactions with families through participating in school wide routines, events, and celebrations.
- Helps to set the vision for family engagement, education, and outreach.
- Collaborates on school wide messaging to families and the community including progress reports, newsletters, and initiatives.
- Fosters opportunities for dialogue about culturally responsive teaching, current events, and serving all children within our community.
- Deeply committed to the Montessori philosophy and expanding its accessibility to all children
- Possesses a Montessori certification in at least one level and has Montessori classroom experience
- Continuously engages in ongoing Montessori professional development
- Works collaboratively, respectful of differing opinions, with flexibility and a willingness to learn.
- Demonstrates the capacity for independent work, flexibility, and the ability to handle multiple demands.
- Possesses a friendliness to error and has a willingness to confront challenges with a solutions-oriented approach.
- Actively engages in reflective practice, gives and receives feedback regularly, and consciously develops a high level of emotional intelligence.