Brooklyn Heights Montessori School offers a challenging and comprehensive curriculum built on the philosophy of Maria Montessori to children aged two years through eighth grade. Students work and learn in mixed-age classes led by teaching teams of thoughtful and well-trained professionals. The students have exposure to a full range of academic and artistic courses. BHMS also offers an after school program and a summer day camp. The School is housed in a beautiful facility in the Cobble Hill section of Brooklyn and is ideally located for convenient access to all parts of Manhattan and Brooklyn.
Brooklyn Heights Montessori School is an equal opportunity employer seeking candidates who will embrace the tenets of Montessori Education, including the principles of community, educational and professional excellence, social justice, and equity.
Job Description: LOWER SCHOOL LEARNING SPECIALIST
Start Date: Late August 2020
Reports to: Head of The Lower School and School Psychologist
Brief Description: The Lower School Learning Specialist works as a part of a team comprised of classroom teachers, administrators, school psychologist, to aid student learning in Kindergarten through Third Grade through instruction, observation, and teacher support.
Full-time, 10-month position
RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
- Work with teachers to identify a student’s learning difficulties
- Conduct reading/math assessments
- Contact with outside tutors and service providers with teachers, as needed
- Conduct professional development for faculty
- Individual and small group reading/math instruction
- Generate and maintain learning plans from student evaluations
- Utilization of Orton-Gilingham or other remedial reading program
- Support for children (and teachers as needed) with Daily 5 Literacy Framework
- Classroom observations and feedback (for teachers and/or parents)
- Parent education around Learning Difficulties, Evaluations and Learning Plans
- Attendance at parent/teacher conferences as needed
- Attendance at meetings - team, program, all-school, supervisory
- Admissions support as needed
SKILLS AND REQUIREMENTS:
- Masters Degree in Special Education or related field
- Minimum of 3 years experience as a Learning Specialist and/or Reading Specialist
- Understanding of K-3rd Grade curriculum
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills
- Experience with various programs such as the Hochman Method, Daily 5 Literacy Framework, Orton-Gillingham a plus
- Ability to think creatively to help individual children and to work collaboratively with other professionals
- Montessori training a plus
Salary is competitive and based on experience and qualifications.
If you would like to be considered for this position, please click here. No phone calls please.
Brooklyn Heights Montessori School has an institutional commitment to the principles of diversity, social justice and equity. In that spirit, BHMS does not discriminate in violation of the law on the basis of race, religion, creed, color, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, physical challenge, national or ethnic origin, ancestry or any other characteristic.