Oak Farm Montessori School
Farm Manager Opportunity
Join an innovative educational environment that supports students as creative, collaborative critical thinkers, citizens and individuals.
Oak Farm Montessori School is an infant through High School program with the mission to “provide a Montessori environment that inspires children to reach their potential through meaningful work”.
Oak Farm Montessori engages teachers who reach for excellence as lifelong learners, in leadership, in emotional literacy and in the practice of citizenship both in themselves and in their students.
The School environment blends the peace and quiet of a pastoral countryside with easy access to the offerings of a larger city. OFMS is situated on 100 acres of partially wooded land on the edge of small town Avilla, minutes from Fort Wayne, Indiana. We are dually accredited by the American Montessori Society (AMS) and the Independent Schools Association of the Central States (ISACS).
Oak Farm Middle School and High School Programs instructional design is individualized by students under the guidance of “teacher guides”. The goal is to provide hands-on, project-based learning with adult-world connections.
We believe the farm gives unity, purpose and meaning to our community. It is an integral part of our curriculum and also provides practical life experience in critical thinking and problem solving. Work with the animals and the land encourages the adolescents to cultivate a sense of empathy and think critically about the sustainable practices that impact our world. Their work also promotes perseverance and daily habits of care for the environment. This responsibility fosters an awareness of the part they play in the wellbeing of the greater community.
Candidates should be open to a dynamic, collaborative, innovative, close-knit community with the individual students at the center of the curriculum. This is an outstanding opportunity to be part of a collaborative team, working together to craft a new approach to adolescent education that is unique to our area.
We are seeking a candidate for the Farm Manager position. This teacher will work with the Secondary faculty and students to manage our farm program as well as create a Future Farmers of America program for the High School students. The farm supports learning interdependence, ecoliteracy, food production and science with a wide variety of animals that each serves a purpose in the micro- economy of farm products run by the students. There are 35-40 students at the MS and 20-25 students at the high school enrolled for 2020-21. The Farm Manager works with 15-20 students each morning to support animal care and greenhouse work. The Farm Manager also works with 2-4 students for a full day pull out farm program throughout the week.
Candidates must have experience working with farm animals and agriculture as well as adolescents. An Undergraduate degree in education, agricultural science, animal husbandry or similar from an accredited college or university is preferred. Experience in woodshop and carpentry is preferred.
- Demonstrate interest and enthusiasm in working with adolescents on the farm.
- Be able to manage the farm budget.
- Have leadership abilities, flexibility and be able to assume responsibility.
- Be able to listen to others, as well as to direct.
- Exhibit professionalism in all situations.
- Be able to continue personal and professional growth and education through workshops or seminars.
Working at Oak Farm:
- Full-time annual work agreements are typically written with 180 (minimum) work days and summer hours for animal care
- Compensation is competitive and based on credentials/experience
- Benefit options for eligible employees for 2019-20 included: Health, Dental, Vision, Voluntary Life Insurance, Paid Sick and Personal Time, Paid Medical Leave, Long Term Disability, Tuition Remission, 403b, Professional Development
- Exceptional professional growth opportunities
- Oak Farm Montessori School is an at-will employer.
Please send resume and letter of interest to Allena Knepper, Human Resources Director email@example.com. We are currently accepting applications and interviewing candidates for the 2020-2021 school year.
Oak Farm School is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.