Pinewoods Montessori School in Hillsborough, North Carolina is seeking a motivated leader to fill the position of Head of School.
Background: Pinewoods Montessori School in Hillsborough, NC provides an authentic Montessori education in which children develop a love of learning within a safe, peaceful setting. Pinewoods has been in Hillsborough for over 20 years and is a non-profit organization with an active, parent-run Board of Directors. We offer programs for children ages 18 months to 12 years old. In addition to our toddler, preschool and elementary classes, we offer an after-school program, summer camps and a rich curriculum including Spanish lessons, physical education, art, and music. Our dedicated faculty currently guides approximately 135 children in our peaceful learning environment.
Position: The ideal Head of School candidate will be an educational and administrative leader with a commitment to the Montessori pedagogy, dedicated to fostering a positive and collaborative school community with a passionate commitment to the authentic Montessori philosophy and methods. This leader will be an excellent communicator and a skilled decision-maker, possess strong business acumen, and will partner with the Board of Directors to create and implement a strategic plan and long-term vision for the school.
SUMMARY of Responsibilities:
- Promote and embody the Pinewoods Montessori School’s Mission.
- Oversee all elements of the Montessori curriculum and classroom instruction.
- Lead the school both internally and externally.
- Oversee the operations of the school, including management of staff.
- Responsible for the administrative success of all school programs.
- Ensure that the school meets all regulatory requirements and pursues the highest level of quality Montessori educational standards.
- Effectively manage the financial and operational interests of the school, in keeping with the budgetary and strategic goals of the Board.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of and commitment to the Montessori philosophy
- Bachelor’s degree in Education or a related field
- Five years of teaching experience as a Head Teacher, School Administrator or director-level experience
- Fluency in English with excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Experience in managing people in complex interpersonal environments - including hiring and termination of employees, staff development, employee relations
- Commitment to diversity and inclusion
- Strong financial acumen
- Conflict resolution with the propensity for making decisions that are perceived as fair and consistent
- Ability to manage conflict resolution, student discipline, and parent disenchantment with patience, decorum, discretion, professional demeanor, and without bias, prejudice, or breach of confidentiality
Pinewoods Montessori School Corporation recognizes our employees as one of our greatest assets. We are committed to provide equal employment opportunity to all qualified persons, consistent with applicable federal, state and local equal opportunity laws prohibiting discrimination based on race, gender, age, religion, ancestry, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, color, or national origin. These opportunities include, but are not limited to, recruitment, hiring, training, promotion, compensation, benefits and all other terms and conditions of employment.
Desired Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Montessori-trained (AMS or MACTE credential)
- Master’s degree in Education or related field
- Previous administrative experience at the elementary or middle school level is desired
- Experience in both the primary and elementary or middle school level is preferred
- Experience in developing marketing plans and recruiting new students
- Strong knowledge of private/independent schools and related laws