Job Description-Assistant Teacher
Assistant Teacher are responsible for working in one of the four classrooms at Small Savers. He/She is responsible for providing a safe and nurturing Montessori environment for the children in his/her care, following the expectations set forth by the Head Teacher, Assistant Director and the Executive Director.
- High School Diploma or GED; and
- Child Development Associate ("CDA") or working toward a CDA while having at least one (1) year experience working in a child development center (CDA must be completed by 12/31/19); and
- First Aid and CPR Certification; and
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Reports directly to both Head Teacher, Assistant Director and Executive Director
Essential Functions of the Position
- Provides a safe nurturing, and stimulating environment for children in the class with developmentally appropriate materials and curriculum;
- Ensures the safety of the children, including responsibility for completing any incident reports and notifying parent and/or authorities;
- Attends all required staff and classroom meetings;
- Abides by all school policies and procedures;
- Works with Head Teacerh to ensure that appropriate supplies (cleaning; first aid) and classroom materials are available in the classroom;
- This is a "safety-sensitive position: subject to mandatory drug and alcohol testing in accordance with District of Columbia law;
- Performs other duties as assisnged by the Head Teacher and Executive Director;
- Meets the physical requirement of the teaching position:
- Visual and auditory abilities to supervise children between 6 weeks and 6 years of age;
- Ability to lift, carry, and hold weight up to 36 pounds (for an 8-hour period), up to 50 pounds (frequently-several hours per day); and up to 70 pounds (often-a few times per day);
- Ability to push, pull children's strollers and wagons carrying up to 8 children (approximately 300 pounds)
- Ability to stoop, crawl, kneel and bend, sit on child-size chairs and equipment for an 8 hour day
- Ability to stant for several hours at a time;
- Ability to sit for several hours at a time
Assistant Teachers are paid bi-monthly (26 pay periods per year) on an hourly basis.
Assistant Teachers are classified as non-exempt and are paid overtime for all hours worked over 40 hours in a given week.
Assistant Teachers are eligibel for all benefits offered to full-time Small Savers' employees.
Assistant Teachers are eligible for bonuses and raises at the discretion of the Executive Director and/or Board.