A Bit About Us
South Suburban Montessori School is dedicated to providing an authentic Montessori education to children between 18 months and 14 years. Our values of compassion, authenticity, respect, and excellence inspire our school’s rich tradition of nurturing each child’s natural love of learning. Founded in 1970, South Suburban is located just 20 minutes from downtown Cleveland in Brecksville’s beautiful Blossom Hill Complex.
South Suburban Montessori School is a place where:
- Students can accelerate their learning while working at their own pace.
- Academic achievement and critical thinking skills are the cornerstones of preparing students for life.
- Teachers are nurturing, caring and create a home-like, safe learning environment.
- Teaching independence produces emotionally intelligent students who lead, not follow.
- The values of respect, honesty, fairness, and acceptance permeate every classroom.
South Suburban Montessori School’s currently serves a student body of over 150 students and employs 30 professional faculty and staff members. With enrollment growing, enthusiasm strong, a firm financial foundation, and experienced leadership, faculty, and staff in place, South Suburban Montessori is in an exciting position to launch a search for an Assistant Head of School.
A member of South Suburban’s leadership team, the Assistant Head of School will provide leadership, oversight, and vision for both the day-to-day academic operations and strategic initiatives of the school. The Assistant Head will partner closely with the Head of School, administrative liaisons, teaching specialists, faculty and staff, students, families, and Board of Directors to continue to develop and promote curriculum, programs, and instructional practices that reflect South Suburban’s mission of freeing each child’s potential through Montessori philosophy and principles while guided by our values of compassion, authenticity, respect, and excellence.
The ideal candidate will be a team player who has a warm collaborative, flexible nature, positive energy, sense of humor, and is a consensus builder. They will have excellent communication skills including outstanding writing and speaking skills. They are self-starters and life-long learners who possess a deep commitment to the regular evaluation of curriculum, academic programming, and faculty growth and accountability.
As a key member of the leadership team, this role includes but is not limited to the following:
- Participates in the faculty hiring, evaluation and professional development process.
- Supervises and provides leadership to ensure curriculum integrity and alignment.
- Collaborates with Head of School for oversight of academic program and curriculum development.
- Supports teachers and families in preserving a culture of engagement, open communication and continued excellence.
- Partners with the Head of School on the implementation of the Head’s vision and goals.
- Works together with Director of Marketing and Admissions to ensure School’s advancement, marketing and admissions goals are met.
- Acts as a liaison between Board of Directors and wider school community.
Professional and Leadership Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in education or a related field.
- Montessori teaching credential from either the Association Montessori Internationale (AMI) or the American Montessori Society (AMS).
- Minimum three years teaching experience in a Montessori school.
- A minimum of three years of school leadership and supervisory experience that reflects a track record of cultivating positive relationships with students, families, faculty, and staff.
- Expertise leading complex, ongoing, and consensus-building projects in a fast-paced, sometimes unpredictable, school environment.
- Experience effectively and empathically leading faculty evaluation, growth, and professional development.
Compensation and Benefits
This is a full-time exempt position and reports to the Head of School. The salary for this position will be commensurate with experience. South Suburban Montessori employees enjoy a competitive employee benefits program including medical, dental and vision coverage, long-term disability insurance, paid time off, school match to employee retirement plan, and child tuition discount.
South Suburban Montessori School is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit the following materials:
- A cover letter describing why you are interested in working at South Suburban Montessori School and how your talents and experience are a fit for this position.
- A current résumé.
- A statement of your leadership philosophy (no longer than one page).
- A list of five professional references with name, phone number, and email address of each (references will not be contacted without notifying the candidate first).
Please send your materials electronically in one email and as separate PDF documents to:
Amy Mackie-Barr: firstname.lastname@example.org