Shrewsbury Montessori School is seeking a professional and caring School Nurse for preschool through grade 6 for the 2020-2021 school year. This full-time position is based at our Shrewsbury Campus and attendance at occasional evening school events and after school staff meetings is also required.
The School Nurse is charged with the comprehensive responsibility for all activities involving the health and safety of students and staff. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Establish and manage a comprehensive school health program consistent with the Massachusetts guidelines, regulations, and statutes, making the appropriate adjustments in consideration of SMS’ mission and its status as a private school.
- Promote positive safety practices both within and outside of school buildings and ensure that the school has an emergency plan which is communicated to personnel and students.
- Prepare and mail out health form packets for each incoming student.
- Manage and organize student medical records using the school database.
- Prepare immunization records for the Department of Public Health and other pertinent agencies as required.
- Manage medical release forms for both prescription and over-the-counter medications.
- Develop and distribute student’s allergy lists to all classrooms and administrators.
- Carry out communicable disease prevention and infection control based on current guidelines for universal precautions, prevention of bloodborne pathogens exposure, and hazardous medical waste disposal.
- Notify families of communicable diseases of students who have been exposed; i.e. Chickenpox, strep throat, head lice, etc.
- Collects and maintains daily student incident forms, ensuring that all applicable parties have documented all pertinent details
- Maintain the security of confidential information.
- Provide emergency first-aid kits for all field trips and include any prescribed medications for students while away from school including medications like inhalers and epi-pens.
- Maintain first-aid kits in each classroom.
- Identify the need for health education and to teach the basic principles of health promotion and disease prevention to students using principles of learning and appropriate teaching methods.
- Licensed Registered Nurse
- A bachelor's degree at minimum
- A minimum of 3-5 years of experience in pediatrics, community health, or related field preferred
- Experience working with diverse student populations preferred
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, excellent teamwork skills
- Excellent computer skills, including Microsoft Word and Excel
- Ability to lift 50 pounds
Required License(s) or Certifications:
- Current licensure to practice nursing in Massachusetts (RN)
- Current CPR/AED Certification, including AED
- Citizenship, residency or work visa required
Please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with the Subject: “School Nurse Application: Your Name.” No phone calls or solicitations please.
SMS is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions based on merit, qualifications, and skills. SMS will not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, military service, application for military service, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. All such discrimination is unlawful and contrary to SMS values and will not be tolerated by SMS. SMS will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.