Please note: If you are applying for any position at Latin American Montessori Bilingual School (LAMB), are from outside the DC Metro area, and are attending the AMS conference in Dallas, please email email@example.com to arrange a time for a conversation. We are seeking applicants for Montessori primary, lower elementary, and upper elementary teachers for the 2020-2021 school year. We are seeking applicants that are native speakers of Spanish or English. The ideal candidate will have some ability to communicate in the non-native language.
LAMB offers a unique model that provides bilingual Montessori public education to diverse, urban families in the nation’s capital. Serving children in PK3 through 5th grade, LAMB is a community that embraces our active parent community and maintains a staff that is committed to children and promotes peace and equity for all.
The LAMB does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, or disability in admission or access to, or treatment or employment in, its programs and activities. People of color and marginalized populations are highly encouraged to apply. LAMB is committed to assembling a diverse, broadly trained faculty and staff.
- Possess an upper elementary credential or diploma in Montessori Education from a MACTE accredited institution; If not currently certified the applicant must be enrolled in or willing to enroll in a Montessori training program;
- Meet state educational requirements, preferably a valid state-issued teaching license for elementary education or meet eligibility, including elementary teacher education and passing scores on Praxis I & II preferred, but not required;
- Native speaker of the modeling language (English or Spanish) and commitment to learn a second language (English or Spanish);
- Have extensive experience teaching math and/or reading to elementary-aged students or experience in dual-language education;
- Ability to work with students of various abilities, including those with various identified exceptionalities;
- Ability to work in a multicultural, bilingual environment;
- Meet health requirements, including immunizations and completing a TB test screening; and
- Submit necessary documents for a completed personnel file, including three references, diplomas, transcripts, and fingerprinting and clearance forms.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Be responsible for the social, emotional, and physical safety of students;
- Create a learning environment and program that allows students to progress in academics, dual-language acquisition, and social/emotional development
- Collaborate with co-teacher to deliver the Bilingual Montessori Curriculum, ensure that Common Core Learning Standards are met, and maintain and manage a positive learning environment;
- Develop reading and writing skills and teach across content areas utilizing the Montessori Curriculum and materials in the targeted language.
- Develop Montessori materials for the targeted language and all areas of the classroom;
- Maintain records of children’s progress utilizing a web-based program and other assessment tools to track mastery within the sequence of the Montessori curriculum and to meet Common Core Standards;
- Collaborate with co-teacher to plan instruction, special activities and, field trips;
- Participate in meetings, trainings, and/or planning cooperatives to fully serve children’s needs;
- Participate in parent conferences and meetings throughout the school year, communicate with parents in accordance with school policy, and promote the school’s mission, objectives, and policies to parents;
- Participate in the parent education program and events by presenting occasionally outside of school hours
- Provide interns (if applicable) with a clear description of their duties and support their growth;
- Understand the school’s mission and objectives and comply with policies;
- Work with administration and colleagues to develop solutions for any parent, staff, or school-related challenges, as needed;
- Partake in the teacher evaluation process; and
- Be available to assist with support duties.
Salary is commensurate with experience. Generous benefits package includes medical insurance (health, dental, & vision), retirement plan, life insurance, short-term and long-term disability, flexible spending account (medical, dependent care, and transit), and vacation/sick leave.
Interested applicants should email cover letter including salary requirements and resume to Anna Marie Yombo, HR Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Only applicants meeting minimum qualifications for the position will be considered. Successful completion of a background investigation is required for employment in this position. LAMB welcomes resumes from all qualified applicants. Salary is commensurate with experience. No phone calls and no employment agencies please.