MONTESSORI LEAD GUIDE
School Year: 2020-2021
Job Opportunity: UPPER ELEMENTARY LEAD GUIDE (Ages 9-12; Grades 4th-6th)
Location: Washington, DC
Start Date: August 2020
Report(s) To: Principal
About Shining Stars Montessori Academy Public Charter School
Shining Stars Montessori Academy Public Charter School’s mission is to offer a quality Montessori education infused with culturally inclusive principles to guide children to develop to their fullest potential.
We are seeking an AMS, AMI or MACTE certified and experienced Lead Guide(s) at the Upper Elementary level to join our dynamic and expanding staff for SY 2020-2021. If you possess a sincere commitment to building and directing a quality Montessori environment, offering support and guidance to parents, and collaborating with experienced colleagues, please consider joining the Shining Stars Montessori school community. The right candidate should possess maturity, dedication, high integrity, good judgment, ability to self-reflect as a member of the teaching staff, and the courage to grow as a teacher leader. We seek individuals with a clear understanding of Montessori ideals, deep knowledge of the development of children, classroom management and communication skills that nurture self-discipline, order, and confidence in young students. We can offer you a rewarding experience in a growing and diverse Montessori school in the nation’s capital.
Shining Stars Montessori Academy PCS is American Montessori Society and Middle States Association/Council on Elementary and Secondary School accredited. This is a full time and benefited position. Hours are typically Monday - Friday from 7:45am -4:30pm, with some weekend and evening activities
Essential Functions & Accountabilities:
- Understand and promote the Shining Stars Montessori Academy PCS vision, mission, and goals to students, parents, and community
- Develop and administer an authentic Montessori Upper Elementary curriculum and assessments consistent with the Montessori Method and aligned with the Montessori Learning Standards and District of Columbia Common Core State Standards
- Work with a Co-Guide to present Montessori lessons, plan ‘going out’ expeditions for students
- Attend Montessori Model UN with Upper Elementary students and plan 6th grade end of school year Study Trip
- Conduct ongoing observations assessments of student learning, and modify instructional methods to fit individual student needs, including for students with special needs and/or English Language Learners
- Lead individual and small group instruction as needed
- Work with the community of students, teachers, parents and administrators, in articulating and maintaining the integrity and scope of the Montessori Method
- Develop and prepare the Montessori classroom environment, materials, and lessons to meet the students’ needs and interests.
- Present consistent individual and group lessons to the students and supporting each child’s socio-emotional and academic progress and learning success
- Record observations of student work on a daily basis to check for student understanding, progress and achievement.
- Manage and document student attendance on a daily basis.
- Participate in ongoing professional development , recommended conferences, training programs, SSMA in-service and/or PD workshops, courses, and other areas of professional growth.
- Participate in SSMA Back to School, Open House, Montessori Saturday Academy, Curriculum Day, Peace Assemblies and other special/extracurricular activities and programs as requested.
- Administer standardized tests in accordance with District of Columbia and Public Charter School Board assessment requirements
- Instruct students in the principles of Grace and Courtesy
- Develop and sustain positive relationships with parents, children and families
- Attend all school staff meetings, and other meetings as required
- Check/examine shared areas such as bathroom, playground, for health and safety hazards
Required Competencies & Qualifications:
- Maintain confidentiality
- A passion for growing independent, confident and intellectually curious children;
- Ability to provide services to all children and families with respect and dignity
- Ability to understand and willingness to work with a range of learning styles is required
- Excellent listening and communications skills
- Strong written and verbal communications skills
- A love of children and a sense of humor
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university in Education, Elementary Education or a related discipline is required; Master’s Degree preferred.
- AMS or AMI certification/Diploma in Elementary Education from a MACTE recognized or affiliate Teacher Education Program required.
- Prior experience in a Montessori) classroom environment preferred.
- Prior experience working in a diverse student and adult community
- Praxis II certification and passing scores preferred
- Spanish or French language fluency a plus
- Advanced degrees, or multiple credentials (e.g., Special Education, Reading, ESOL, Music, Art, etc.)
- Must be eligible to work in the United States
- A love of children and a sense of humor
Salary for this position is competitive. In addition, a comprehensive benefits package is included.
How to Apply:
Submit a cover letter and resume, in one document, to email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org and include the position title in the subject line (for example : Upper Elementary Guide.
Shining Stars Montessori Academy Public Charter School does not and shall not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations. These activities include, but are not limited to, hiring and firing of staff, selection of volunteers and vendors, and provision of services. We are committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all members of our staff, volunteers, subcontractors, vendors, and clients.