Seton Montessori School offers a unique suburban Montessori experience. Our campus in Clarendon Hills, Illinois (15 miles West of Chicago) serves 210 children from infants to 12 years of age. We have an exceptional and experienced teaching staff, financial health, a diverse and supportive parent body, and a rich history of preparing children, families and Montessori educators and leaders for success. Seton is an American Montessori Society and National Accreditation for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC) accredited school. A Lab School for the Seton Montessori Institute, we hold ourselves to the highest expectations of the integrity of Montessori implementation, to our deep interest in dialogue and research, and to changing the world through Montessori education.
The Head of School will assume leadership of a well-established school community with numerous opportunities for growth and development. Areas of potential impact include: nurturing the growth of our newer Elementary program in order to someday grow into offering adolescent Montessori programming; Embracing Seton’s goal of supporting Maria Montessori’s vision for Education for Peace through explicit actions towards advocating for equity and social justice; Nurturing the growth of high integrity Montessori programs in communities that have not had access in the past, locally and around the world; Increasing their own voice in the broader Montessori community through participation in Seton Montessori Institute’s various courses and seminars, attending conferences, and additional opportunities for impacting adults in their own development as Montessori educators and leaders.
The Head of School has full responsibility for the implementation of our mission as a high-quality Montessori educational institution, strategic initiatives, and all day-to-day operations. The right candidate will have experience as a solid decision-maker with excellent judgment, an interest in growing and evolving as a leader, and someone who embodies leadership via Montessori principles. The position offers a competitive salary and full benefits.
About Seton Montessori
Our mission is to enable each child to grow in awareness of him or herself, of others, and of the world around. Each material, activity, or experience is expressly designed to give the child a new perspective, to develop an academic concept or to encourage growth as a social being. Seton fosters a sense of partnership between the children, the teachers, and the parents to work collaboratively toward the common goal of realizing each child's fullest potential.
Our vision is to provide a vital and high-quality learning environment in the Montessori tradition, based on respect for the person’s unique learning patterns, observation as the basis for responsive educational planning, and commitment to continuous transformation and development of all members of the learning community.
Seton Montessori School was established in 1965. Since then, we’ve grown to serve over 210 children from infancy through 6th grade. Our campus boasts four beautiful campus buildings and is spread over more than six acres in suburban Chicago. Seton is a 501(c)3 not for profit organization.
Our Educators and Programs
Today, Seton Montessori School has a staff of 45, and a third of our educators have worked at the school for 10 years or more. Seton Montessori School educators are selected for their professional talents and their constant and loving concern for the children in their charge. Constant and ongoing observation by the educator is the bedrock of our program. All Seton Montessori teachers are fully AMS or AMI certified and hold a minimum of a Bachelor’s degree. In addition, elementary students have access to specialists in many fields, including Spanish language, physical education, special education, arts education, and music instruction.
Seton Montessori School is held in very high regard locally, nationally and internationally. Our strong reputation is a natural outcome of our long-standing teacher certification programs and the unparalleled commitment of our faculty to the Montessori mission.
Seton Montessori is an American Montessori Society (AMS) and National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC) accredited school, registered with the Illinois State Board of Education, and participates in the Illinois Excelerate Childcare Quality Rating System, which gives the school a Gold Circle of Quality rating. In addition, Seton Montessori’s summer camp program is accredited by the American Camp Association (ACA).
We believe that teaching children effectively requires close collaboration between parents, teachers, and administrators. The social life of each class and the community-at-large offers enormous learning opportunities for every child. All members of the child’s family are encouraged to participate in the life of the school in a variety of ways, including parent education, classroom activities, volunteer efforts, and community gatherings.
To learn more, please visit our website: http://www.SetonMontessori.org/school
Head of School Role
We’re looking for a leader who embodies our values and who approaches every day with a sense of servant leadership, ownership, agile problem-solving, compassionate global vision and a can-do attitude.
Faculty & Staff
- Manage Program Coordinators, Teachers and Assistants, and office staff.
- Foster an atmosphere of team building and inclusiveness.
- Manage a budget and determine staff roles, teams, salaries, hours, and responsibilities.
- Collaborate with the Teacher Education Program to facilitate observations, research, and connection between the Lab School and Seton Montessori Institute Faculty.
- Embrace Montessori education and drive inclusiveness for all.
- Empower and support the Program Coordinators, Teachers and Assistants to deliver excellence in education.
- Oversee a student body of ~210 children across various programs ranging from infants to Upper Elementary.
- Collaborate with and, potentially, participate on the faculty of Seton Montessori Institute.
- Support the school community in examining possibilities to extend programming into the middle school years.
- Support an inclusive and respectful partnership between parents and school on behalf of the child.
- Create ways for parents to stay informed, educated, and active in the Seton Montessori community.
- Oversee effective marketing, communications, and outreach to our community.
- Serve as the public spokesperson for the school and for Montessori education.
- Oversight of accounts payable and accounts receivable in conjunction with the Director of Accounts.
- Maintain fiduciary supervision of school revenue and expenses as the foundation for programming, facilities, and staffing decisions.
- In collaboration with the Admissions and Accounts team, provide regular enrollment updates for the Board of Directors.
- Support efforts to achieve development and fundraising goals.
Board of Directors
- Ex-Officio member of the Board of Directors.
- Implement the strategic plan as established by the Board of Directors. Partner with the Board in innovative thinking and developing action steps and accountabilities to achieve these strategic initiatives.
- Support the Board of Directors in making sound strategic decisions by providing data, insight, and context for school operations.
How to Apply
To submit your resume and cover letter, please email Anna Perry at HeadSearch@SetonMontessori.org. Please indicate if you were referred to the job by someone. All submissions are confidential.
Seton Montessori School does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, physical or mental ability, or any other status protected under local, state or federal laws in the admission of otherwise qualified students or in the administration of its educational policies or programs, hiring, or employment practices.
Process & Confidentiality
All applications will be reviewed confidentially and interviews will be conducted by the Executive Director and select members of the Board and staff.
Full travel expenses will be paid for in-person interviews in Clarendon Hills, Illinois