About the School
Established in 1964, Metropolitan Montessori School, is a NYC independent pre-school and elementary school that serves children between the ages of 2.8 and 12 years, and is guided by the philosophy of Dr. Maria Montessori. MMS instills personal responsibility, critical thinking, resilience, and respect for others, giving children a foundation for learning that will stay with them through their lifetime. The upper elementary program encompasses grades 4 to 6. Sixth graders are prepared to apply successfully to a wide range to independent schools including Brearley, Horace Mann, Riverdale, and Collegiate.
About the Position
We are looking for an experienced teacher for a math/science position. The candidate should have 3 to 5 years of experience, preferably in an independent school. Familiarity with Singapore Math is a plus. The candidate should understand the ideals of whole-child education and also understand how to create an environment that promotes academic excellence and infuses community values of independence, responsibility, and equity throughout the curriculum. Successful candidates will be joining a 4th-6th grade team of committed and collaborative colleagues.
The Upper Elementary Program consists of approximately 55 students. Class sizes range from approximately 10 to 15 students. Working closely and amiably with each member of this tight-knit community and sharing responsibilities and resources with colleagues is important for success in this position.
Salary is commensurate with experience. There is a comprehensive benefits package.
Preferences and Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree preferred
- Experience teaching fourth, fifth, or sixth grade
- Strong communication skills; ability to articulate orally and in writing the strengths of and growth needed for individual students in reports to parents and other schools
- Experience with a variety of strategies and approaches to instruction
- Preferred teaching experience in a metropolitan area independent school
- Willingness to support colleagues and students in all endeavors
- A sense of humor and a passion for teaching
Metropolitan Montessori School provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment with regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Metropolitan Montessori School complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment. Interested Candidates should send a cover letter, resume, and 3 references to email@example.com