Brooklyn Heights Montessori School offers a challenging and comprehensive curriculum built on the philosophy of Maria Montessori to children aged two years through eighth grade. Students work and learn in mixed-age classes led by teaching teams of thoughtful and well-trained professionals. The students have exposure to a full range of academic and artistic courses. BHMS also offers an after school program and a summer day camp. The School is housed in a beautiful facility in the Cobble Hill section of Brooklyn and is ideally located for convenient access to all parts of Manhattan and Brooklyn.
Brooklyn Heights Montessori School is an equal opportunity employer seeking candidates who will embrace the tenets of Montessori Education, including the principles of community, educational and professional excellence, social justice, and equity.
Job Description: LOWER ELEMENTARY HEAD TEACHER
Start Date: Late August 2020
Reports to: Head of The Lower School
Brief Description: The Lower Elementary Head Teacher will work in conjunction with the Head of The Lower School, the Lower Elementary teaching team, the School psychologist, the Learning Specialist, and the Head of School to educate and lead Lower Elementary students in accordance with the principles of Montessori educational philosophy and practices, and with the mission, the curriculum and the policies of Brooklyn Heights Montessori School. A Lower Elementary Head Teacher teaches language arts, math, science and social studies.
Full-time, 10-month position
The LE Head Teacher will report directly to the Head of The Lower School, who will meet with the Head Teacher on a regular basis and prepare an annual evaluation.
RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
- Prepare lessons in the designated subject areas in accordance with the curriculum of Brooklyn Heights Montessori School, its mission, and Montessori philosophy
- Develop, review, and update curriculum and curriculum maps as needed in conjunction with the Head of the Lower School
- Prepare annual statement of goals and objectives for professional development
- Be available during school hours to advise parents
- Be in attendance at school in accordance with the times set forth in the letter of agreement
- Maintain a “prepared” environment in the classroom and other areas used for instruction
- Maintain student records with regard to attendance, achievement, and report writing
- Prepare reports for parents in accordance with the established policies of Brooklyn Heights Montessori School
- Prepare for and participate in regular parent-teacher conferences as set forth on the school calendar
- Participate in regularly scheduled trips with students
- Attend and participate in various evening meetings, such as Back-to-School Night, Parent Education, and Community events
- Attend and participate in regularly scheduled program level, faculty, and faculty and staff meetings
- Establish and maintain a positive and professional relationship with students, parents, and other teachers and school personnel
- Comply with the established policies and procedures of Brooklyn Heights Montessori School as stated in the Faculty & Staff Handbook
- Perform various reasonable tasks from time to time as requested by the Head of School or the Head of the Lower School
SKILLS AND REQUIREMENTS:
- Montessori Elementary I Credential
- Master’s Degree
- Three years teaching experience
Salary is competitive and based on experience and qualifications.
If you would like to be considered for this position, please click here. No phone calls please.
Brooklyn Heights Montessori School has an institutional commitment to the principles of diversity, social justice and equity. In that spirit, BHMS does not discriminate in violation of the law on the basis of race, religion, creed, color, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, physical challenge, national or ethnic origin, ancestry or any other characteristic.