English-Speaking Elementary Montessori Teacher Job Description
English-Speaking Elementary MontessoriTeacher—Reports to the Educational Director/Administrator.
Full Time Position
Hours: 7:30 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.
The Keres Children’s Learning Center (KCLC) is located on Pueblo de Cochiti Reservation along the Rio Grande River between Santa Fe and Albuquerque, New Mexico. KCLC is a private, independent school that uses the Montessori Method and dual language immersion to serve Cochiti children ages 2.5–12 and their families in revitalizing their Keres language and in preparing the next generation of Cochiti people, equally grounded in traditional and mainstream education. KCLC strives to reclaim our children’s education and honor our heritage by using a comprehensive cultural and academic curriculum to assist families in nurturing Keres-speaking, holistically healthy, community minded, and academically strong students.
This is a fulltime English-speaking Elementary teaching position in a dual-language Montessori classroom; teacher is responsible for implementing Montessori Elementary curriculum—Cosmic Education—for children ages 6 to 12.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Prepares and maintains Elementary classroom and materials.
- Completes and submits lesson planning and materials preparation by designated due date.
- Records lessons given.
- Maintains student records as related to English curriculum.
- Plans and collaborates with Keres-speaking Elementary teachers.
- Communicates regularly with parents.
- Supports colleagues with Montessori training and expertise.
- Attends weekly planning meetings.
- Conducts parent-teacher conferences.
- Attends professional development trainings for teachers.
- Participates in self evaluation according to KCLC Staff Evaluation Process
- As English-speaking teacher, supports speaking the Keres language.
- Attends Parent Seminar as requested, at least 2 times per semester.
- Uses Montessori Pedagogy for Elementary I and II (ages 6–12).
- Uses dual language best practices.
- Communicates clearly in writing and verbally.
- Manages a safe classroom in accordance with Montessori and Cochiti values.
- Is patient and respectful of children and their families.
- Honors confidentiality.
Keres Children’s Learning Center (KCLC)
English-Speaking Elementary Montessori Teacher
This is an 8-hour daily/40-hours per week position with occasional overtime expected on occasions such as Open House, Parent Seminar, and field trips. Lunch is eaten with children; however, teacher has a daily 30-minute duty-free break. The classroom and therefore the work environment is designed in service to the children’s needs; this is characterized by frequent interruptions and schedule changes. Teacher provides twice-annual written progress reports for parents about children, given at in-person parent conferences. Lesson plans are required to be submitted every two weeks, and recording of lessons is required during daily prep time.
This position includes daily outdoor nature walks and recess duty, in all weather. Teacher must be able to move quickly to keep up with and monitor children’s safety outdoors and indoors, as well as be able to see and hear children from a distance. It is occasionally necessary and frequently ideal to give lessons on the floor.
- Travel locally on field trips with children and to attend conferences is required. Semi-annual travel to national conferences is expected.
- Candidate must hold an Elementary I and II Montessori certificate from a MACTE-accredited training center.
- Teacher will come to work on time and be mindful of absences so as to minimize their effect on children.
- Teacher will abide by KCLC Policies and Procedures and the American Montessori Society (AMS) Code of Ethics.
- Teacher will approach KCLC with respect, professionalism, and an open heart.
- Teacher will support the KCLC Mission and Montessori Pedagogy.
- Teacher will work collaboratively with staff.
- Teacher will fulfill duties according to rotating schedule as well as other duties as assigned.
- Teacher will possess a valid driver’s license and vehicle.
- Teacher will successfully undergo background check.
- Teacher will take initiative to serve KCLC’s mission.
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
KCLC is an EEO employer. This is a full-time, salaried, exempt position, paying a competitive wage depending on experience. Interested individuals should submit a letter of interest to email@example.com to Keres Children’s Learning Center, PO Box 113, Cochiti Pueblo, NM, 87072.
Position open until filled.