The Preschool Assistant Teacher works collaboratively with the Head Teacher in developing a warm, safe and caring environment with developmentally appropriate educational goals, in which children may grow and flourish socially, emotionally, physically and cognitively. This position is for December 2019 - May 2020. The hours are 8:15am-3:45pm. This position reports to the Director of Lower School.
- Share in preparation, maintenance, and enrichment of the environment
- Collect observational data through a shared record keeping system
- Share in curriculum planning, based on collected observational data
- Facilitate the intellectual, emotional, physical and social growth of each child
- Articulate goals and priorities set for the class (established in dialogue with the head teacher)
- Plan and supervise in head teacher’s absence
- Support the head teacher’s 2-way communication with parents by directing parents to head teacher, or taking notes to pass along
- Attend parent conferences in collaboration with head teacher, as appropriate
- Actively support the school’s diversity mission
- Share in communal school related tasks, e.g. kitchen duty etc.
- Participate in intake visits for preschool applicants, as needed
- Attend bi/weekly team, team-supervisor, preschool, & all school wide meetings
- Perform all duties and responsibilities set forth in the Faculty and Staff Manual
- Bachelor’s Degree (in education desired)
- Two years teaching experience (Montessori desirable)
- Montessori Primary Credential desirable
- Strong work ethic and sense of humor
Brooklyn Heights Montessori School has an institutional commitment to the principles of diversity. In that spirit, BHMS is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, creed, color, gender, sexual orientation, age, physical challenge, national or ethnic origin, ancestry or any other characteristic.