MONTESSORI CLASSROOM ASSISTANT(ALL LEVELS)
Levels: Kindergarten (3-6year olds), Lower Elementary (6-9year olds), Upper Elementary (9-12year olds).
School Year: 2021-2022
Job Opportunity: Primary Classroom Teaching Assistant
Location: Washington, DC
Application Deadline: Open until filled
About Shining Stars Montessori Academy Public Charter School
Shining Stars Montessori Academy Public Charter School’s mission is to offer a quality Montessori education infused with culturally inclusive principles to guide children to develop to their fullest potential.
Classroom Assistant Position Summary:
Shining Stars Montessori Academy PCS is seeking Classroom Teaching Assistants for our Primary through Upper Elementary grade levels . Levels at SSMA are:The Children’s House /Primary (3-6 year olds), Lower Elementary (6-9year olds), Upper Elementary (9-12 year olds). This position provides essential support to the Lead Guide/Teacher to ensure that children have an authentic Montessori learning experience. Individuals working on their Montessori Guide certification, seeking a mentored internship opportunity under a SSMA Lead Guide are encouraged to apply.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
Provide Support to the Lead Classroom Teacher and Assist in the Maintenance of the Prepared Montessori Classroom Environment
- Work preparing the Montessori classroom environment to meet the students’ needs and interests and also work with individual children or small groups as directed by the lead guide/teacher.
- Clean the classroom and replenish materials and supplies in the morning and afternoon.
- Make materials as required by the lead guide/ teacher.
Assist in Record Keeping
- Take attendance daily for the Guide
- Participate in all training related to data collection and assessment. This includes taking attendance daily in PowerSchool .
Provide Classroom Supervision During Non-Academic Times
- Provide supervision and enriching activities during nonacademic times including arrival, lunch, recess, dismissal , before and after care.
- Provide classroom management support when the guide/teacher is presenting a lesson.
Requirements and Experience:
- Possess a minimum of an Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree required,
- At least 1-3 years of prior working experience, preferably in a Montessori school and/or a diverse public, private , or charter elementary school,
- Prior teaching experience at the level applying preferred,
- Possess a current First Aid and CPR Certificate,
- Bilingualism in Spanish , Amharic a plus (not required),
- Must be eligible to work in the U.S.,
- Willingness to attend classroom assistant training provided prior to start of school year and/or during the course of the year,,
- Have a sense of humor and a love of children.
Salary for this position is competitive and commensurate with prior experience and education. This is a 10-month position. In addition, a comprehensive benefits package is included.
Shining Stars Montessori Academy PCS offers the following benefits to all full-time employees.
- Medical, Dental and Vision insurance premiums subsidized by employer
- 401k Retirement Plan with employer match
- Pre-tax Flexible Spending Accounts
- Life and Disability Insurance
- Paid sick and personal time off
How to Apply:
Submit a cover letter and resume, in one document, to firstname.lastname@example.org and include the position title (e.g.,Classroom Assistant) in the subject line.
Shining Stars Montessori Academy Public Charter School does not and shall not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations. These activities include, but are not limited to, hiring and firing of staff, selection of volunteers and vendors, and provision of services. We are committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all members of our staff, volunteers, subcontractors, vendors, and clients.