Daily Schedule: Monday-Friday 8:30-5:30 (with a 1-hour break)
Job Assignment: The Primary Assistant Teacher works in the Primary environment with a Lead Teacher, Assistant Teacher and up to twenty-five children. The Primary Assistant assists Lead Teacher during work cycle, redirecting children to work and aiding children who need support. The Assistant works with Lead Teacher to prepare environment daily, maintaining order and cleanliness of environment daily. The Primary Assistant substitutes for Lead Teacher in cases of illness or absence.
Essential Characteristics: As a Primary Assistant Teacher, one has to be especially patient and compassionate. Under the guidance of the Lead Teacher, it is the Assistant Teacher’s job to:
- Meet the child’s needs physically, socially and emotionally.
- Maintain an open, loving and cooperative environment for all children.
- Have an inherent love for this stage of development.
- Possess the ability to support the Lead Teacher in implementing lessons to meet the varying needs of the students.
Responsibilities that are required in a Primary Assistant Teacher role:
- Maintain the prepared environment by implementing the Montessori primary curriculum according to the specifics provided by the school and lead teacher.
- Follow lesson plans created by the lead teacher; engage with the students during the work cycle to meet the needs of each child enrolled in the classroom.
- Give lessons as directed by lead teacher on a one-on-one or group basis and assist children who may have trouble grasping concepts.
- Communicate professionally with the parents, discussing their child's day-to-day interactions with the materials, peers, and adults.
- Communicate with the children using language and tone of voice that is authentic, natural and, most importantly, kind.
- Promote feelings of security and trust in toddlers by encouraging and supporting them when necessary through activities and practical life skills.
- Respond quickly and in a soothing fashion to distressed toddlers and ensure that they are comforted immediately.
- Follow the children and the energy of the classroom to determine the needs of the students.
- Oversee and engage toddlers during recess time; ensure that activities are stimulating, age-appropriate, and safe.
- Be available, present, and focused on the children during daily transitions (i.e., work cycle, walks, recess, lunch, and naps).
- Perform cleaning and maintenance necessary to keep the classroom and common spaces clean, beautiful, and safe.
- Maintain a positive work environment among all staff that is professional, kind, and inclusive.
- Engage in weekly team meetings by sharing observations and asking questions about child development and how to best support each child.
- Uphold the MAC Characteristics of Excellence daily.
- 2-year degree required, Bachelor’s degree preferred
- Experience working with Primary Aged children (2.5-6 years old)
- Ability to effectively interface with students, parents, faculty, and staff
- Excellent verbal communication skills
- Desire to contribute and be part of a strong team
- Willingness to submit to a background check
- Ability to commit to the position for a minimum of one year
- Eligible for benefits including medical and dental on the first of the month following 60 days of employment
- Eligible for 25 Paid Holidays throughout the year (including 2 week Summer Break in August) on the first of the month following 60 days of employment
- Accrued Paid Time off - 7 days/year (accrual starts upon hire)