Position Announcement – Elementary Teachers for new Montessori Charter School
About Sussex Montessori School:
Sussex Montessori School was approved as a charter school by the Delaware Department of Education in April 2018 and will open for grades K through 3 in Fall 2020. One grade per year will be added to eventually serve children in grades K through 6. The Sussex Montessori School Board believes that the creation of a Montessori public school in Sussex County, DE will improve student learning, allow for greater choice for parents, and serve as a model for alternative approaches to education by providing a proven and innovative teaching and learning environment.
The mission of Sussex Montessori School is to nurture the development of empathetic, collaborative, persistent and innovative global and community citizens in accordance with the time-tested philosophy of Maria Montessori, through authentic personalized learning experiences, respectful relationships, opportunities to innovate, and a focus on global citizenship.
The school is located in Seaford, Delaware, which is a diverse rural area with a thriving Hispanic population as well as growing Haitian community.
Lead Teacher Job Description
We are looking for experienced Montessori Lead teachers (and/or teachers who are willing to become Montessori trained and certified) who are passionate about children and the Montessori method to join our inaugural team. Sussex Montessori School has grant funding to support those willing to become Montessori certified. We are developing a partnership with a regional training program for our teachers.
The Lead will be responsible for leading a classroom of children K – 1 or 2 -3 and delivering the Montessori curriculum, to the highest standard. This role requires someone who is a strong team player and able to work independently whilst maintaining the program’s quality and integrity.
- Passionate about Montessori and working with children. A keen observer of the needs and interests of children;
- Strong team player who works collaboratively, promoting and supporting the overall goals, mission and vision and policies and procedure of Sussex Montessori School;
- Has a positive attitude, is flexible and dependable in regards to the needs of the children and requirements of the school;
- Is a self-starter, organized, and conducts all responsibilities with dedication, trust and pride;
- Communicates with gentleness and respect, at all times, to the children and in a professional, positive manner to parents and colleagues;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Offer a quality Montessori program to meet the individual needs of children;
- Plan and prepare appropriate materials and supporting resources for your classroom, as required, to help enhance and progress learning;
- Presenting individual and group lessons to the students and supporting each child’s direction and success;
- Meeting regularly with students to work with them in assessing their own success and facilitating an individual path of progress;
- Working with students of varying abilities assigned to the classroom, including those with learning exceptionalities, as well as attending meetings to support children;
- Maintain on-going observational records and individualized lesson plans;
- Complete progress reports and attend parent meetings;
- Attend all faculty meetings and scheduled staff events;
- Create and maintain and beautiful and prepared classroom environment;
- Work collaboratively with other members staff, modeling appropriate and professional behavior;
- Facilitate a respectful environment for children and adults by demonstrating grace and courtesy at all times;
- Assume responsibility for maintaining an on-going dialogue with Specialists, specialty teachers and coordinating curriculum integration and implementation with these teachers;
- Supervise the classroom assistant, aide, interns, substitutes, and parent volunteers. Provide necessary instruction and training for those assisting in the classroom environment;
- Ensure respectful and open lines of communication with parents. Be available to parents through written communication, setting up conferences, and educating parents in Montessori philosophy;
- Assist in the planning and maintenance of the outdoor environment;
- Comply with all continuing education requirements;
- Comply with Sussex Montessori School’s mission, vision and policies at all times;
- An accredited (MACTE) Montessori Elementary Diploma/Certificate- (or be willing to attend a 5-week Montessori training over multiple summers and continued studies throughout the school year)
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Valid/Current Delaware State Teaching License/Certificate (Supporting documents: Official Transcripts demonstrating completion of Bachelor Degree and Teacher Preparation Program and verification of teaching experience must be submitted through the online Delaware Educator Data System, DEEDS-(https://www.doe.k12.de.us)
- Favorable Criminal background check and Child Abuse Registry for candidate offered employment
- Tuberculin Test within the last 5 years
- 3 – 5 years-experience working as a Montessori lead/guide
- Special Education certification and/or experience with inclusion classrooms
- Fluent in Spanish and/or Haitian Creole
- Experience with Responsive Classroom and/or a similar program to support the social and emotional needs of children
How to Apply:
You must submit the following four documents to: email@example.com. Incomplete applications will not be considered:
- A resume that clearly indicates that you possess the required qualifications, and that indicates which preferred qualifications and additional relevant qualifications you would bring to this position.
- A one-page cover letter explaining your philosophy of Montessori education.
- A separate document with responses to the following questions (please upload this with all other documents where prompted or copy and paste your thoughts in the text boxes provided.)
- What is exciting to you about teaching at Sussex Montessori School?
- What do you find or expect are the gifts and challenges about teaching in a Montessori classroom?
- Please give examples of how you will include families as a part of your classroom experience for children.
- Three professional references.
Review of applications will begin on February 1, 2020. Best consideration will be given to applications received by that date. Anticipated start date for the position is July 1, 2020.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Sussex Montessori School is an Equal Opportunity Employer, which encourages applications from minority group members, women, individuals with disabilities and veterans.