Montessori Family School is a private, independent school serving 135 students ages 3 to 14 on two campuses in Berkeley and El Cerrito, CA. Founded 1981 to provide an authentic Montessori education for East Bay families, MFS seeks to nurture each child’s individual learning style while maintaining standards of academic excellence. A full member of the American Montessori Society, MFS adheres to its mission: Preparation for Life, Education for Peace, and a Community for Children.
Our Middle School is an early adolescent Montessori program serving young people ages 12 – 14 (grades 7 and 8), promoting autonomy and independence for the learners. Along the way, you understand the unique growth possibilities of the early adolescent and that the learning is theirs and your task is to guide.
We seek a positive role model who demonstrates a strong work ethic as well as a collaborative approach. Montessori training is not required, though a passion for Montessori philosophy and methods and a strong desire to continually learn about the Montessori approach to education are essential. Other professional qualities include:
- Some college preferred.
- Teaching experience required. Montessori experience at any level preferred. Experience working with early adolescents useful.
- Though we are a low-tech learning environment, you will need solid computer skills.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- An ability to follow procedure, in other words, highly adept at crossing the T's and dotting the I's, and with gentle reminders, supporting others to do so, while juggling multiple priorities with calm.
- The ability to travel with the classroom for overnights, totaling two weeks out of the year, M – F.
- The skills of both self-reflection and collaboration.
Desirable personal qualities include:
- A deep appreciation for the adolescent experience and a keen sense of humor.
- Understanding that a teacher’s workday extends beyond the children leaving the classroom.
- Appreciation for Montessori education and willingness to promote the philosophy with the belief that by working in a small school you can change the world.
- Outlook that sees "other duties as assigned" as the best part of any job description.
- Taking great satisfaction in making things work even when no one sees what you do.
- Putting your own cup in the kitchen dishwasher.
Montessori Family School offers competitive salaries and excellent benefits.
You must be authorized to work in the United States. If you have interest and motivation for working at an established, dynamic Montessori school, send resume and cover letter combined into one PDF document to Alissa Stolz, Head of School. If you are invited for an interview, you will be asked to bring something you create that will demonstrate your understanding of the Montessori philosophy. Your availability for full-time work must start in early August.
Montessori Family School is an Equal Opportunity Employer