Montessori School of Denver (MSD), located in beautiful Colorado, is seeking an Executive Director to build and manage the Horizons at MSD program. The position is set to start immediately.
Job Overview: An integral part of the Horizons at Montessori School of Denver (Horizons at MSD) team, the Executive Director manages and leads a diverse and growing staff, overseeing all program activities and operations, including ensuring quality programming; hiring and supervising staff and volunteers; annual budget planning and management; broadening Horizons’ base of support through fundraising and marketing initiatives; collaborating with Horizons Colorado as the local Horizons school built-in network. This role also serves as the face of Horizons at MSD, working to build external-facing relationships to increase awareness of the program, expand partnerships, and position Horizons as a thought leader in the out-of-school time space.
Horizons at MSD offers a strong community of support from committed families, and a collaborative Board in partnership with host school members, local community stakeholders and partner school representatives. As part of a national network, Horizons at MSD’s Executive Director has access to professional development opportunities, peer-to-peer learning and collaboration, and programmatic and strategic guidance from Horizons National, the hub of the Horizons Network.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Build and manage all aspects of the Horizons at MSD program, including:
- Oversee student recruitment and retention activities related to summer (and possibly future academic year) programming, interacting with school principals, teachers, guidance counselors, and families as necessary.
- Lead aspects of the summer and school-year programs, including staff recruitment, training, and supervision, summer and daily schedule planning, allotments, purchasing, and collection of required registration materials.
- Build MSD staff and curriculum of program alongside Horizons teachers
- Partner dynamically with the Horizons at MSD Board, providing leadership and active support to members and committees including meeting preparation, participation, and follow-up.
- Prepare and monitor the program’s annual budget of roughly $35,000 to start and grow annually using QuickBooks.
- Administer the preparation and submission of required data to Horizons National.
Development and Marketing
- Serve as the face of Horizons at MSD, stewarding relationships with donors and participating in networking and speaking opportunities to raise awareness of Horizons.
- Collaborate with the Horizons Board on fundraising strategy, including cultivation of new funding sources, and provide support for fundraising events including planning, execution, and follow-up.
- Ensure effective gift recording and acknowledgement.
- Bachelor’s degree in related field
- Montessori understanding and appreciation
- Non-profit experience (preferred)
- Experience leading fundraising activities, including donor relations and events
- Strong computer literacy
- Successful track record working with a wide range of people
- Supervisory experience
- Strong interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to build and sustain positive and respectful relationships, with a sense of cultural competency and experience with working with a diverse range of stakeholders
- Demonstrated commitment to understanding how systems impact our families and communities we work with
- Commitment to continual growth in understanding personal biases and role within societal systems
- Exceptional organizational skills, detail-oriented, and able to work collaboratively
- Superb written and oral communication skills in English and Spanish and exceptional attention to detail; demonstrated versatility in writing for all media platforms
- High-energy and enthusiastic about working in an academic atmosphere
- Strong project management skills, including the ability to coordinate deliverables among multiple departments and manage simultaneous deadlines, on time, and within budget
- Demonstrated success in leadership roles in a nonprofit setting, preferably in an organization with a focus on education, out-of-school time programming, or youth
Reports to: Head of School
Department: Horizons at MSD
Supervises/Supports: Horizons summer staff
FLSA Status: Part Time Exempt*
Compensation: $20,000-28,000 Salary Range (based on education and experience)
*The hours associated with this role will be lighter and flexible during August through October, but will increase during the recruitment, program development, fundraising, and Summer program execution periods. Opportunity for this role to grow into a full-time commitment with commensurate salary after year one.
Montessori School of Denver does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, or disability.
Applicants are invited to visit Montessori School of Denver’s website (montessoridenver.org) to learn more about the school and its programs.
To Apply: Please complete our application and upload your resume here. We look forward to hearing from you!