This is a full-time position that requires prior exceptional child experience and relevant licensure.
The start date is August 1, 2019.
1. Act as case coordinator for assigned EC students. Effectively communicate with
teachers, parents, related services staff, and administrators to facilitate the IEP process.
2. Manage evaluations for IEPs. Review and interpret results.
3. Develop IEPs based on evaluations, classroom data and input from families and general
4. Ensure all student files meet compliance standards of the North Carolina Department of
5. Evaluate student’s progress through data collection to establish meaningful student goals
and necessary accommodations.
6. Maintain effective personal liason and communication between school and home.
Special Educator Teacher Responsibilities
1. Collaborate with general education teachers and IEP team for push-in and pull-out
services to provide instruction and services that align with Montessori curriculum.
2. Develop lesson plans that ensure attainment of specific learning standards and work with
staff to modify and accommodate lessons to the needs of students with disabilities in
3. Provide direct special education instruction per IEPs in an inclusion-based settings. Plan,
organize, and assign activities that are specific to each student’s abilities.
4. Monitor student behavior, provide discipline in the classroom for assigned students,
deescalates inappropriate behaviors and teach students appropriate behavioral strategies.
Certification in CPI or willingness to become CPI-certified is required.
About Moore Montessori Community School
In August 2018, Moore Montessori Community School (MMCS) opened its doors at 387 West
Pennsylvania Ave in Southern Pines, NC. MMCS is the first and only public Montessori school in the
Our mission is to provide an excellent and equitable free Montessori education to students from diverse
backgrounds in Moore County. Our Montessori method educates the whole child through hands-on
learning, collaborative work, and self-directed activity. Its 100% individualized curriculum supports the
educational needs of each child, and promotes the critical thinking, executive function, and social-
emotional skills students need to be successful in college and the ever-changing global economy.