Casa di Mir Montessori School
Position Title: Elementary Teacher
Reports to: Head of School
FLSA Status: Exempt
The Teacher creates an environment that is conducive to the growth and development of children in the realization of their fullest learning potential. She or he is responsible for the generation and improvement of all school curricula in writing and the pedagogical growth and development of the school as well as the day-to-day teaching and functioning of his or her class. The Teacher prepares materials to meet the needs of the children, and operates in a manner in keeping with Montessori Method and concerns for educational excellence. The Teacher has responsibilities to children, parents, staff, Administrator, and Board.
- Applies professional knowledge of child development principles to interpret the Montessori philosophy in a manner that assures developmental growth.
- Develops and implements curriculum plans and activities that are supportive of the age group of the children.
- Communicates and cooperates with the Head of School on program changes. Ensures that the program fosters the intellectual, physical, social, emotional, and moral/ethical growth of all children enrolled.
- Protects the working atmosphere of the group at all times.
- Notifies the Head of School of difficulties with children, parents or staff.
- Assists in determining requirements for program equipment and materials and insures furnishings and materials are complete and correspond to the needs of the group.
- Responsible for the care and maintenance of classroom materials to include having the children share in the responsibility. Maintains inventory for all furnishings and materials.
- Supervises the Assistant as he/she deals with the children in the group, and ensures participation in curriculum development and implementation.
- Works with the Assistant on a day-to-day basis to insure practical application of the Montessori policies and procedures and is available to provide guidance and direction as required.
- Establishes time to give the Assistant the opportunity to share questions and observations.
- Maintains current academic records and attendance record book.
- Holds two parent conferences each year to discuss each child’s progress and maintains ongoing communication with parents regarding their child’s specific needs.
- Submits academic record and other records as requested by the Head of School.
- Responsible for the safety and physical well-being of the children at all times. Notifies the Head of School immediately of any safety hazards and reports any and all accidents immediately. Prepares a written report stating date, time, nature of accident, and action taken. Trains and supervises children in the execution of fire drills. Insures a routine is clearly established and the building exited with dispatch and order.
- Attends staff meetings, school events and in-service programs as scheduled. Attends committee meetings and special meetings requested by the Head of School.
- Responsible for the development and implementation of parent information sessions in conjunction with the Assistant Head. Conducts class meetings for parents when appropriate.
- Prepares and distributes class newsletters on a schedule approved by the Assistant Head of School. Assists with any other projects, programs and planning as assigned by the Head of School.
- Ability to relate to children and adults with maturity, respect and compassion.
- Montessori Credential for appropriate age level
- Bachelor degree in a related field
- Minimum of 1 year experience at the appropriate age level
- Excellent verbal and written skills
- Demonstrated organizational skills
- First Aid and CPR certification