The Montessori School of Englewood – Elementary 1 (6-9) Directress
We are hiring a Directress to join our Montessori School of Englewood’s community for the 2020-21 school year. The Directress will lead an Elementary 1 (6-9) Montessori classroom. The position is a full-time opportunity to work with children, an amazing team, and to receive great benefits.
The Montessori School of Englewood (MSE) is a Chicago Public Charter Elementary School located in the West Englewood Community at 6936 South Hermitage Ave. Since opening our doors in 2012, we have added a new class every year and we are now proudly educating grades K-8 as well as Head Start, serving over 380 students. The Montessori School of Englewood is an open enrollment, free public charter school for students living within the Chicago city limits. We offer an alternative curricular approach to serve the diverse ethnic, socioeconomic, language, and educational backgrounds of students entering elementary school.
- Demonstrate a working knowledge and application of Montessori principles
- Create and maintain a neat, well-organized, and attractive prepared environment that fosters and showcases Montessori learning
- Supervises and supports Teacher Assistant – offering guidance and support by providing presentations as needed, mentoring in the Montessori philosophy and maintaining regular productive dialogue
- Keep daily, weekly, and monthly lesson plans which describe lessons given, curriculum covered and observation notes for each child and turn them in when directed
- Maintain accurate and complete records of students’ progress and development
- Update all necessary records accurately and completely as required by laws, school policies, and regulations
- Make materials when and where needed and maintain classroom materials
- Develop close and effective relationships with parents to regularly support their children’s progress
- Participate in professional activities prepared by the Executive Director, Principal, or Education Coordinator which includes workshops, meetings, and planning
- 2-3 years early childhood and/or elementary experience and education in a related field; a Bachelor’s degree and/or Montessori Certification for the appropriate age group
- Effective communicator, verbal and written, with children and adults
- Demonstrated ability to adapt to a variety of settings and environments
- Basic understanding of a child’s cognitive, physical, social, and emotional development
- You are eligible for MSE benefits, which include paid time off and a suite of health and welfare benefits, including medical, dental, and life insurance. More details, including eligibility, costs, and other important terms and conditions of these plans are contained in the relevant plan documents.