Head of School
Christopher Academy: The Montessori School
Contact: Christy Moyle
Job Title: Head of School
Position Onset: July 1, 2024
Christopher Academy is New Jersey’s original Montessori school, founded in 1963 by a group of parents in a home in a beautiful residential neighborhood in Westfield, New Jersey. Since its founding, Christopher Academy has expanded to serve 75 students in four classrooms from ages two to seven, representing the diverse community of families in and around Union County. Christopher Academy offers an academic calendar from September through June plus enrichment summer programs in June and July. The school is a torchbearer of quality Montessori education in New Jersey, earning an unparalleled reputation for child-centered, Montessori toddler, early childhood and early elementary programming in an intimate, joyful community.
The teacher-developed mission of Christopher Academy is to support the development of the full potential of the child by serving individual needs, fostering independence and protecting the social consciousness within an environment which celebrates a love of learning. The nonprofit school is accredited by the American Montessori School and governed by an engaged board of trustees.
The strengths of Christopher Academy are abundant:
- A legacy of Montessori leadership recognized throughout the state
- A national reputation for high-quality Montessori education
- An school culture reflective of the neighborhood that surrounds us, in which children and families enjoy strong community ties and a sense of belonging
- An empowered faculty strengthened by a commitment to ongoing learning and the resources to support it
- An impeccably maintained, home-like campus in which families are valued and parents are our partners
Head of School
Christopher Academy is seeking a dedicated Head of School eager to serve and to learn. The Head of School guides daily operations, acting as both lead Montessori mentor for our faculty and facilitator for our parent body. The Head of School, with the close support of our Board of Trustees, is responsible for the administration of the school, including supervising faculty and staff, overseeing facilities maintenance and improvement, modeling and enacting school policies, hiring and staffing, admissions, parent education, and community engagement. The Head of School reports to the Board of Trustees, with whom the Head works to strengthen school policies and identify opportunities for growth. The Head of School is supported by a dedicated administrative assistant, a part-time community liaison, experienced Trustees and a generous operating budget.
Head of School Requirements/Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree preferred.
- Montessori classroom experience & teacher certification.
- 3 – 5 years relevant leadership experience, including a commitment to ongoing Montessori professional development.
- Impeccable people and organizational skills.
- Exemplary observational skills, in both understanding the adults with who we work and learn, the children who they, in turn, serve, and oneself
- Demonstrated knowledge of child development in general and in the unique context of Montessori communities
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to actively listen, build consensus, and act decisively as required.
Head of School Responsibilities and Authority
- Model the mission and values of the school.
- Oversee all aspects of daily operations: administrative, financial, academic, facilities management and community.
- Mentor, develop and assess faculty
- Adhere to all legal and regulatory requirements.
- Represent the school on mission in local, state, regional and national settings
Compensation and Benefits
- A competitive salary commensurate with experience.
- Paid time off and holidays.
- Tuition discounts for children enrolled
- Paid professional development
Interested applicants should submit the following to HOS.ChristopherAcademy@gmail.com
- Cover letter expressing interest in this position, specifically as it relates to Christopher Academy’s Mission and Core Values, to our legacy and to your vision for our future
- Brief statement of educational and leadership philosophy that aligns with Montessori principles.
- Current Resume
- Names and contact information of three professional references.
Christopher Academy is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability, or veteran status.